Has there been an established cause and effect relationship between Coronavirus Patients and Immune Thrombocytopenic Purpura?
This information is shared for information only. It should not be used to replaced medical diagnosis. It is shared to help discuss with your doctors in more specific detail some of the possible symptoms and issues surrounding Covid. Conditions are not well documented now for severe COVID‐19 remains poorly understood but there is a relationship to hyperinflammatory syndrome.
My Journey through Covid Induced Immune Thrombocytopenic Purapura (Petachiae)
In the case of Coronavirus patients cause and effect relationship with Immune Thrombocytopenic Purpura, the answer is yes. Immune Thrombocytopenic Purpapura can accompany SARS-CoV2 Infection. As much a I did not want to spend another half day in the ER, when I still have not received unemployment or got the county to respond to my request weekly for +3 weeks to reinstate my health insurance so I can get professional opinions and not play doctor, on my self while I am sick. The Emergency Room Doctor confirmed I ABSOLUTELY needed to come to the ER, because of the issues I was experiencing, as internal bleeding, sepsis, blood disorders, and anemia are serious issues needing emergency action.
Some of the questions and answers I had, were part of the workup. Doctor said, honestly there is much we do not know now about Covid, but here are the answers according to what we do know now.
- That being the case, I wondered still is this a lasting symptom of post Positive, no Negative, or am I re-infected? Doctors leading theory is that this is a lasting symptom of what he calls Post Covid Recovery. He said it, and it bears repeating, to those WITHOUT Covid. Negative for COVID is NOT symptom free. It is not known why or how long these symptoms will last, but they do carry on, and for many there is little we can do.
- Do I need to discuss medication? We are to continue the course of existing medication for hypertension, diabetes, and not change the blood thinning medication, as that is key to avoiding future clotting issues or stroke. We did a stroke test, and I had no indications of stroke and I could “pass” a phased water drinking test (from a straw, with a little bit. From a straw with more. From a straw drinking from the glass.
- When is it an emergency? This was a valid emergency to rule out sepsis, internal bleeding, metabolic function, lactic acid (sepsis) and urinalysis with culture to check for infections. Immune Thrombocytopenic Purpapura is a bleeding disorder characterized by too few platelets in the blood. The bleeding results from unusually low levels of platelets — the cells that help blood clot.
- When do I just live with it. How is “severe” requiring Emergency Care diagnosed? This was severe enough to require Emergency Care. Diagnostics determined the medication course to be given. Which for me was Pain Management for acute vomiting, headaches, and diarrhea. Medications for Pain, and NaCI for Bolus, and ZoFran for Nausea. All had an immediate calming effect on the body and my symptoms which lasted 8 hours.
What are the Symptoms of Immune Thrombocytopenic Purpapura?
- Easy or excessive bruising
- Bleeding into the skin, often around the shins, causing a skin rash that looks like pinpoint red spots (petechial rash).
- Bleeding from the gums or nose
- Blood in urine or stools
- Unusually heavy menstrual flow
- Signs of excessive fatigue include:
- needing more sleep than normal
- requiring daytime naps
- feeling tired during the day despite getting a good night’s sleep
- overall lack of energy for your everyday activities
- Coronavirus can cause severe immune thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP).
- The tiny red dots of Purapuri (ITP) are known as Petechia, you can identify them as tiny red or purple dots ca be light or heavy into a flat rash, mostly flat and if depressed they retain their color.
- Intravenous immunoglobulin and steroids are very effective treatments for severe ITP.
- ITP isn’t contagious and can’t be passed from one person to another.
- Low red blood cell counts can also be a sign of internal bleeding so it is important to get it checked out.
- Reduced risk for anemia from excessive bleeding and reduce risk of bruising and bleeding and healing.
- Severe or widespread ITP requires emergency treatment. This usually includes transfusions of concentrated platelets and intravenous administration of a corticosteroid such as methylprednisolone (Medrol), IVIg, or anti-D treatments.
Possible side effects from Immune Thrombocytopenic Purpapura include:
If you have any signs or symptoms of anemia which can include:
- Anemia has many types, and each type has particular symptoms and treatment options. Of the most common, my symptoms include fatigue, pale skin, shortness of breath, headache, leg cramps, and dizziness.
- My Pulse Ox is lower than usual at 91, the side affects of ITP are a likely response, with anemia, because of the lack of oxygen-carrying protein, so that all the organs of the body can get oxygen-rich blood and perform their function correctly.
Make sure to see your doctor to confirm findings.
SUMMARY OF FINDINGS:
- Blood Pressure is Normal Person Normal at 137/70 despite host of symptoms- plant based diet IS WORKING!!
- No Fever, despite Covid Red Face Flushing and sweating
- Blood Glucose is Normal Person Normal at 108 DL/L despite what appears to by Hypoglycemic shock. Plant based diet is working, and the shaking is due to Covid not Diabetes.
- Pulse Ox went from 91-98% (my basedline) through pain treatment
- Symptoms of Covid 19 pain that continue, shallow breathing (when inactive), Muscle Pain, Muscle Cramps (charlie horses Headache, Nausea, Vomiting, Loss of Appetite
WHAT’s NEXT FOR MY RECOVERY:
Wait for retest results for COVID.
- START Zofran medication for NAUSEA and VOMITING.
- START outreach to Covid Disaster Distress Helpline 800-985-5990 to deal with sluggish county case work support impacting health care follow up//
- CONTINUE trying to get the county case worker to reopen my cancelled health care so I may get the prescribed follow up.
- CONTINUE the Plant Based Diet, and juicing with foods of natural whole source veggies, greens, fruits, ginger)
- CONTINUE supplementing what boosts immune system – Vitamins C, A, E, Biotin, and Vegan Omega 3 and Calcium/Magnesium. ADD ZINC
- CONTINUE to montor and call 911 or go to emergency for breathing troubles, chest pain,, blue face or lip color, extreme difficulty staying awake.
THE BEGINNING OF COVID FOR ME:
- May 28 Contracted SARS-CoV2 from going to Walmart Pharmacy to pick up medication. I wore a mask, socially distanced. My theory is that the virus lived something I touched, and then touched my mask, like perhaps the shopping cart. I wiped the handle down, but without a “cart disinfectant” it is probable that the spread of virus can happen on the cart.
- June 4: I presented with SARS-CoV2 and light stroke symptoms where I was prescribed IV fluids and blood thinners to avoid clotting.